1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

CR vs XC & WR rear wheels

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ruwfo, Sep 5, 2012.

1. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Guys,
    Just when you think you know your Husky Stuff, things throw you a curve. I wanted to swap the
    rear wheel on my 83 250CR with the one from my 83 XC 250. Well the XC wheel will bolt up to the
    CR , but the CR wheel don't fit on the XC ?? The braking backing plate cause the wheel to lock
    up & barely turns when you tighten the axle nut? Both bikes are all stock & have the original spacers
    brake assemblies & the linkages.

I looked up the p/n's for both wheel hubs in the 83 & 84 parts lists & found that the wheel hub are different? Also found a 86 WR wheel will bolt up correctly using different left sides spacers??

I have to get the Micrometer & measure the hub depth etc, but boy that surprised the crap out of me :eek:.

Husky John
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I found that out when I got a rear wheel with an 83 250CR frame. One has a grooved backing plate while the other has a flat backing plate. The grooved backing plate was tighten enough to wear the groove thru the backing plate. I got a replacement on eBay but found it to be almost as bad
  3. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    the grooved backing plate is from the mx models and it floats with the suspension action. the xc and wr have the flat plate and it get attached fast to the swing arm or brake stay depending on the year. i found this out the hard way. bought a $180.00 CR backing plate thinking it would work on my wr or xc. WRONG!!!
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    That is rather intresting I used the rear wheel from one of those silver streak 500 bikes for a car stud tire on my xc 500 1983 The shoes were a bit narrower on the cr version if I recall. From what I have the dual shock water cooled 400 and an early monoshock bike used a backing plate and hub design like the later mono shock but have a bolt to the swingarm stay rod instead of a prong and socket like most of the mono shock. I am just guessing that set up or at least the hub/plate interlock design went a year or so earlier on the 83 cr. Good part to have might have to tamper with the way the brake arm goes but it allows you to use more modern wheels on the earlier bike. I hoarded at least one off ebay years ago. If you go to the races and bring the wrong wheels you can run mis matched, one way there is a gap dirt will get in the other way you have to stick a washer somehow inside the brake drum area and spreead the swingarm a bit probably a gap then as well.
  5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Fran,
    Actually i tried added spacers under the brake backing plate & the hub's bearing, making sure they were small enough to only contact the inner race & still NO good. I've got to look at the hubs & back plates closer to see
    were they differ.

Husky John
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I can't say about cr stuff but for the other stuff the 83 has a wider brake shoe and no stepped inter fit between hub and plate. The mono shock stuff has the thinner shoes and the interlock design. I don't like the prong and socket of most of the aluminum swingarms strange things can happen when you use the rear brake stalled out on a hill going up at last on the worn stuff I generally have. I know I made it work one time, like you say at least one of the little washers I crammed in there was the opposite of a fender washer. I don't think you can see much detail in the picture but just for fun. That looks like the stepped drum which would fit the plates at three and nine o'clock with thinner shoes but not the wider shoe one at eight o'clock. How applicable it is to an 83 cr can't say.

[IMG]
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Don't feel bad cause I did the same thing till I figured out the differences in the rear hubs/backing plates.

Now I have a collection of XC hubs.
  8. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Ok, i figured out the differences between the XC/WR vs CR hubs. The CR hub has a slight lip where the sprocket mounts , the XC & WR don't &
    are basically flush. See Attached pictures, so the XC wheels will work on the CR, but CR wheel don't work on the XC or WR. This is because the
    brake hubs cause the wheel to lock up, do to the fact it needs the to sit flush ,not on the lip.

Husky John

Attached Files:

9. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ymmv, your mileage may vary.
    I found the backing plate from that cr 500 1982.5 one of the three hundred sent to the states, and it seems to interchange in the hubs of that era fine for me. It doesn't like the more modern like on the aluminum swingarm. The one with the tab for the brake stay rod is in a 17 inch wheel, non conical hub with the date Jan 82 on the rim and has no wear from the springs of the brake plate. The cr brake plate has the springs farther back. The other hub has a date of late in 82 and is an 18 inch rim and though the fresh scratches in it are odd the normal spring rub marks are there. I guess it is possible someone laced up hubs and wheels along the way but these two brake plates seem useable in the same hubs.

fran

Attached Files: